AAEON, a leader in industrial embedded computing platforms, recently came up with the GENE-CML5 3.5” subcompact board. Unlike other SBCs, this board features an LGA1200 socket for using an Intel CPU of your choice. The GENE-CML5 3.5” subcompact board offers desktop-level performance in a compact form factor. Hence, with such processing powers, the board enables developers to step up their industrial AI Edge applications.
Recently we had seen the UP Squared Pro, which featured the Apollo Lake processors. GENE-CML5 3.5” subcompact board is like an upgraded version of it for a heftier price tag compared to the UP Squared Pro. Both the SBCs are produced by AAEON and are focused on AI Edge applications. Depending on the user’s processing requirement, the suitable board can be selected. UP Squared Pro features Raspberry Pi like GPIOs, making it much more ideal for embedded applications, whereas the GENE-CML5 3.5” subcompact board compares with desktop level systems by offering substantially higher performance.
GENE-CML5 3.5” subcompact board’s main highlights
Unlike other SBCs, which have a fixed/soldered down processor style, the GENE-CML5 3.5” subcompact board features an FCLGA1200 socket. The board supports five different Comet lake processors, which include Intel’s i3/i5/i7 along with Pentium and Celeron processors. The CPUs can run up to a frequency of 4.4GHz which is adequate to upgrade your platform to meet the processing requirements. The board is configurable with up to 64GB DDR4 RAM through two SODIMM sockets. With such a vast memory and high CPU frequency, the board is on par with the bulkier desktop systems.
Coming to other highlights, the GENE-CML5 3.5” subcompact board can take advantage of Intel vPro and Intel Active Management Technology (iAMT). However, this technology enables it to be for remote system monitoring and management applications. “The GENE-CML5 offers developers and users desktop performance in a compact form factor, perfect for deploying AI Edge applications where they’re needed.”, says AAEON. “With industry-leading manufacturing support and OEM/ODM services from AAEON, thus developers can customize their boards including I/O layouts to suit their needs.”
The GENE-CML5 3.5” subcompact board offers various I/O options. These include two USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports, four USB 2.0 ports, and dual Gigabit LAN ports. Apart from it, the board features DP++, VGA, and LVDS connectors for the display options. The board also features an M.2 2280 M-Key slot that supports AI expansion modules and NVMe storage. Additionally, the board has a PCIe 3.0 (x4) expansion with an FPC connector and two SATA III (6.0 Gbps) slots.
Technical specifications of the subcompact board
- Intel® 10th Generation Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium/Celeron SoC
- i7-10700TE (8C, 2.0 GHz, up to 4.4 GHz)
- i5-10500TE (6C, 2.3 GHz, up to 3.7 GHz)
- i3-10100TE (4C, 2.3 GHz, up to 3.6 GHz)
- G6400TE (2C, 3.2 GHz)
- G5900TE (2C, 3.0 GHz)
- CPU Frequency: Up to 4.4GHz
- Memory Type: DDR4 2933/2666/2400 MHz SODIMM x 2 (Dual Channel, Non-ECC)
- Max. Memory Capacity: Up to 64GB
- Power Requirement: +12V
- VGA/LCD Controller: Chrontel CH7517A
- Intel® i210/i211,10/100/1000Base, RJ45 x1
- Intel® i219,10/100/1000Base, RJ45 x1 (Support Vpro only with i5/i7 + Q470/Q470E variant)
- Audio: High Definition Audio Interface,Line-in/Line-out/MIC
- USB Port:
- USB3.2 Gen 2 x 2 (Rear I/O, Gen 2 for Q470/Q470E only)
- USB2.0 x 4 (Pin header)
- Serial Port: RS-232/422/485 x 2
- SATA 3.0 x 2
- SATA power connector x 1 (+5V)
- Expansion Slot:
- M.2 M Key 2280 PCIe[x4]/SATA[x1] x 1
- PCIe[x4] x 1 (through Flexible Printed Circuit interface, Q470/Q470E only)
- I2C, SMBUS (Default as I2C, SMBUS selected by the board)
- Operating Temperature: 32°F ~ 122°F (0°C ~ 60°C)
- Storage Temperature: -40°F ~ 176°F (-40°C ~ 81°C)
There was no information about the software part, but looking at its driver support, we assume that the board runs Windows 10 (64-bit). The GENE-CML5 3.5” subcompact board can also run Ubuntu 18.04.2 or Ubuntu 20.04 if you prefer Linux. The board comes with a 146mm x 101.7mm size, but the weight was not specified.